Vestas' new established Design Center located in Porto, Portugal is going to focus on designing solutions for Vestas' global product offering.The Center is heading into a challenging future and employees will be rewarding in terms of personal and professional development as we embark on the journey to build a new multi-disciplinary design center. Work atmosphere is truly global both in terms of our tasks and colleagues and if you take pride in coordinating, supporting and making things happen efficiently and diplomatically then we can offer the right frame for an exciting career move.
Mechanical Engineer - Powertrain Lubrication Systems Trainee
Power Solutions, Design Centre Porto, Mechanical Engineering
Vestas Power Solutions (VPS) is responsible for developing, verifying and industrializing wind turbines and related service products. It is here that we lay Vestas' technical- and technological foundation for staying the global leader in wind energy by continuously reducing the Cost of Energy.
The Powertrain department in VPS currently consists of around 55 highly skilled employees, primarily situated in Denmark and in Germany and with local/remote teams in China and US. The department is accountable for the Powertrain System converting the mechanical energy from the wind turbine rotor into electrical energy. The Powertrain System consists of main components such as the main gearbox, generator, main shaft bearings, lubrication system and the auxiliary components such as brakes, couplings and suspension/damper systems.
We have an immediate opening for a Mechanical Engineer for the Design Center, Porto specializing in development and product maintenance of lubrication systems for the Powertrain System. Activities will involve all facets of product development, but with priorities centered on project and work package execution in close collaboration with the R&D headquarters in DK/DE.Many of the activities also requires involvement of external partners such as consultancy networks and/or suppliers, and this aspect requires a candidate with a combination of both strong technical competences and a commercial mindset, and not least with a distinct ability to - and motivation for - driving technical and challenging projects forward. You will become part of a cross-functional engineering team responsible for delivery of work packages and design solutions to the entire Powertrain system area.
We value initiative, trustworthiness and the right balance between creativity and quality in all our solutions. You will benefit from an environment working at a high professional level and with a strong technical commitment.
Your responsibility will be product development and maintenance of Powertrain Lubrication Systems for Power-/and Drivetrain systems. You will be working with our entire range of wind turbine product platforms, from the kW-class and up to 8MW.
Main activities under this responsibility will include:
- Execute integrated product development of new powertrain lubrication systems together with R&D headquarters in DK/DE and external partners and suppliers.
- Validate Powertrain lubrication system function-/and performance in Powertrain system test environments or in wind turbines in the field.
Maintain-/and provide life-cycle support to existing Powertrain lubrication systems following principles of the Vestas Engineering Change Management (ECM) process. Examples are cost-out initiatives and product optimizations.
- Maintain product documentation.
- Provide general business support to internal stakeholders such as Global Sourcing, Manufacturing and the Service organizations.
- Education and work experience (use internationally recognized terms for education)
- Diploma-/or Master degree in Mechanical-/or Marine Engineering.
- Experience (3-5 years) in the role as development engineer for lubrication systems and components, such as pumps, filters-/and filterblocks, heat exchangers, sensors, pipes, hoses and connectors.
- Experience with CAD-/PLM/PDM systems such as Pro E, PDM-Link and SAP.
- Knowledge within control and regulation of integrated systems.
- Knowledge within structure mechanics and thermodynamics.
- You are familiar with Six Sigma development tools and methodologies.
- Experience within the field of wind turbines, automotive or heavy-industries preferred.
- Excellent language skills (speaking and writing) in English required.
- You are pro-active; result oriented and has a strong sense of responsibility.
- You have a good commercial/business understanding and can naturally incorporate external partners, as well as the full value chain of Vestas, into your daily work.
- You must have good organizational and communication skills and you must be able to work within an international and multi-disciplinary team.
- You are highly motivated.
What we offer
We offer you a challenging and demanding job with excellent professional and personal development opportunities in an inspiring, international work environment at the world’s leading manufacturer of wind turbines.